Something strange happened with the background of this work. I had primed the preprimed canvas with a coat of gesso  with a hint of orange paint mixed in. I let this dry for a few days. I then misted the surface with plain tap water, mixed up some greens and yellows and set about painting in the background.  I kept misting as I worked and never let the background dry completely. Then I started blending with one of my huge brushes. There were little drop like marks developing all over the work.

    Normally I would have said s___! and started the background over but I liked the effect and am now painting some iris in the rain. As an artist, I not only learn from my mistakes, I often use them. Normally, I put 2 or 3 drops of acrylic medium in my spray mister so things like this won't happen.  This is stage one of this painting. Stay tuned and see if I can bring this painting off.

Comment on or Share this Article